BOCA Management Meeting Minutes – 25th May 2016

Minutes of the Barlestone & Osbaston Community Association Management Meeting held on 25th May 2016

Barlestone & Osbaston Community Association Management Meeting – 25th May 2016

Present; Gerry Barwood (chairman), Cathie Watkins (secretary), Janet Barwood (treasurer), Jill Raymond, John Watkins, Steve Jordan, Joan Jordan, Julie Edge, Carmen Rahaman, Viv Goddard (vice-chairman), Mary Goddard, Anna Baker, Keith Flude, Nigel Nixon, Julia Nixon

Apologies;

Notes of Last Meeting

Agreed; proposed Janet, seconded Jill. The AGM also didn’t go ahead due to lack of enough attendees to make it quorate but the EGM held immediately prior to this meeting should make it possible for this to be rescheduled such that we can be quorate in the future.

Matters Arising

No matters arising which would not be covered under other agenda items.

Treasurers Report

The insurance has gone down £40 (to £220 p.a.) due to the removal of the Teddy Bear’s Picnic.

The Garage Sales and associated tombola, raffle and refreshments were a big success and we raised £121.13 profit on the day. Thanks to Cathie for organising this event.

Secretaries Report

Nothing to report.

Planned and Recent Events

Revue: Such events have been poorly supported in the past as it has been hard to get audiences. This was also the experience of Nigel and Julia in the many events they organised in the past despite the amount of hard work they both put into them. The decision at this meeting was not to go ahead with the revue.

Garage Sales: Gerry echoed Janet’s thanks to Cathie and the rest of the team who helped out on the day. Feedback has been good with many expressing their wish to take part next year.

Village Fun Day: Sunday 7th August. BOCA will be running the tombola and the raffle as usual. We need to borrow a gazebo from the church. Joan was also hoping to run a Neighbourhood Watch stall but this scheme isn’t being well supported within the village so it may be a more generic safety stall. We thought it would be a good idea if there could be a fruit and veg stall from the allotments, Gerry will be trying to coordinate this.

Car Treasure Hunt: Provisionally Friday 12th August in the evening. No progress as yet.

Village Walk & Treasure Hunt: Provisionally Friday 19th August in the evening. No progress as yet. Instead of doing the BBQ we will just have drinks and cakes this year. Keith will ask the Elohim Church if we can start and finish from their church.

Indoor Car Boot Sale: Provisionally Saturday 8th October. Janet asked the school for prices and although they were previously very expensive they have quoted £54 which is very reasonable for the size of hall. She will ask about the use of the kitchen.

Fireworks Night: Tentatively Friday 4th November to avoid clashing with bigger events held locally. Viv will be in Australia on the night but will be able to order the fireworks although they will have to be delivered elsewhere. Someone else will need to organise setting them up and Gerry volunteered to co-ordinate this.

Distribution of Profits/Funds

As previously agreed, we have had a request from the Guides to assist them with funds for camping equipment and other sundries they need and will be able to present them with their cheque for £200 at the AGM.

Any Other Business

Anna is resigning as she is moving to Spain. Gerry thanked her for being a part of BOCA and supporting events where she could.

Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting will be the proposed AGM on 6th July starting at 7.30pm.

BOCA Management Meeting Minutes – 29th March 2016

Minutes from the Barlestone & Osbaston Community Association Management Meeting held on 29th March 2016

Barlestone & Osbaston Community Association – Management Meeting – 29th March 2016

Present; Gerry Barwood (chairman), Cathie Watkins (secretary), Janet Barwood (treasurer), Jill Raymond, John Watkins, Steve Jordan, Joan Jordan, Julie Edge, Carmen Rahaman

Apologies;

Notes of Last Meeting

Agreed; proposed Janet, seconded Jill. The meeting which was planned for early January was cancelled. The AGM also didn’t go ahead due to lack of enough attendees to make it quorate.

Matters Arising

No matters arising which would not be covered under other agenda items.

Treasurers Report

Janet has transferred £200 from the management account to cover expenditure.

We need a fund raiser earlier in the year to raise money for the cost of the fireworks.

Secretaries Report

Nothing to report.

Planned and Recent Events

Revue: No update at this meeting.

Garage Sales: Provisionally Saturday 14th May, Cathie will check with David Burchell about the Pavilion availability. There was a suggestion that we could charge participants but this would raise issues and would be difficult to manage plus it would deter some people from taking part. Instead we will have a tombola and a raffle plus a few stalls which we could charge £5/stall for.

Village Fun Day: Sunday 7th August. We’re not doing a BBQ this year but BOCA will be running the tombola and the raffle as usual. Joan will also be running a Neighbourhood Watch stall. We thought it would be a good idea if there could be a fruit and veg stall from the allotments, Gerry will try to coordinate this.

Car Treasure Hunt: Provisionally Friday 12th August in the evening.

Village Walk & Treasure Hunt: Provisionally Friday 19th August in the evening.

Indoor Car Boot Sale: We would like to run this again as it is a good fundraiser but need to find a venue now that the village hall has been sold. Julie will ask Paul Burchell about the football club, Janet will ask the school for prices although they were previously very expensive. Possible dates: 8th, 22nd or 29th October.

Fireworks Night: Tentatively Friday 4th November to avoid clashing with bigger events held locally.

Proposal for an EGM

A letter was signed by eight of the members present and given to Cathie to trigger the process of having an EGM as per our constitution. The purpose of the EGM will be to decide on the proposal to amend the existing constitution, paragraph 2.7.

Existing wording:

“Meetings will only be quorate if the following numbers of members are present at the start of the meeting. At least two officers of the Association plus:-
Annual General Meeting – 10 members of the Association
Extra-ordinary General Meeting – As for an AGM
Management Committee Meeting – 6 members of the Association
Executive Committee Meeting – 3 officers”

Proposed wording:

“Meetings will only be quorate if the following numbers of members are present at the start of the meeting.
Annual General Meeting – 50% members of the Association including two officers of the Association
Extra-ordinary General Meeting – As for an AGM
Management Committee Meeting – 6 members of the Association
Executive Committee Meeting – 3 officers”

Distribution of Profits/Funds

We have had a request from the Guides to assist them with funds for camping equipment and other sundries they need. Janet proposed £200 to be donated, Gerry seconded and this was unanimously agreed by those present.

Any Other Business

The flyer for the garage sales should also include an appeal for new members.

The AGM agenda needs to include the appointment of auditors.

Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting will be the proposed EGM on 20th April starting at 7.30pm.

BOCA Management Meeting Minutes – 27th October 2015

Minutes from the Barlestone & Osbaston Community Association Management Meeting held on 27th October 2015

Barlestone & Osbaston Community Association Management Meeting – 27th October 2015

Present; Gerry Barwood (chairman), Cathie Watkins (secretary), Janet Barwood (treasurer), Jill Raymond, John Watkins, Steve Jordan, Julie Edge

Apologies; Viv Goddard (vice chairman), Joan Jordan, Mary Goddard, Glyn Bowen, Anna Baker, Rita Flude

Notes of Last Meeting

Agreed; proposed Janet, seconded Jill

Matters Arising

The £200 raised from the Fun day has now been distributed as follows; £50 to Sunshine Club, £50 to Once We Were Soldiers, £50 to First Steps and £50 to the Community First Responders.

No other matters arising.

Treasurers Report

The fireworks insurance has been paid (£80).

Ten tables have been booked for the indoor car boot sale including one for the Community First Responders. Janet has donated several items to them rather than waiving the charge to avoid setting a precedent.

We need a fund raiser early in 2016 to raise money for next year’s fireworks.

Secretaries Report

Flyers are being distributed for various village events including the BOCA indoor car boot sale and the fireworks, remembrance and Christmas. Janet and Julie offered to help which is much appreciated.

Planned and Recent Events

Revue: No update at this meeting.

Skittles: Friday 13th November – names are needed to book food, etc, Gerry collected these to pass on to Viv from those present.

Indoor Car Boot Sale: November 14th – Tombola items still needed by Jill.

Race Night: This was discussed as the possible early 2016 fund raiser but the football club had tried this idea and had very few attendees so we agreed to drop this.

Fireworks Night: 5th November. The training had been attended. 5.30pm set up at the pavilion. The Community First Responders will be attending in case of emergency. White lines are needed on the edge of the step outside the pavilion, John will talk to David Burchell about this. We discussed the idea of serving soup but we agreed that this would distract from the tea sales. Tombola items to Janet; it will be run as £1 a ticket, everyone is a winner.

Remembrance Day: 8th November.

Any Other Business

Gerry and Janet had a message left on their answering machine to say the Welcome to Barlestone booklet was out of date but unfortunately the caller didn’t say what they had found or leave any contact details. We need to consider doing an update for the insert dependent on how many were left.

Cathie outlined the Doctor’s surgery requirement for a portable ECG machine and it was agreed that the £300 we were going to buy equipment for them should be put towards this.

Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on 5th January 2016 starting at 7.30pm.

BOCA Management Meeting Minutes – 15th September 2015

Barlestone & Osbaston Community Association Management Meeting Minutes – 15th September 2015

Barlestone & Osbaston Community Association Management Meeting – 15th September 2015

Present; Gerry Barwood (chairman), Cathie Watkins (secretary), Janet Barwood (treasurer), Jill Raymond, John Watkins, Viv Goddard (vice chairman), Joan Jordan, Mary Goddard, Glyn Bowen, Anna Baker, Rita Flude

Apologies; Steve Jordan, Julie Edge

Notes of Last Meeting

Agreed; proposed Janet, seconded Joan (although the date on the notes was incorrect)

Matters Arising

There have been two successful BOCA events since the last meeting, both of which deserved thanks for all the hard work put in by the organisers in each case. The car treasure hunt was well received by the small number who took part and the village walk & treasure hunt also went well with plenty of attendees. Thanks to Gerry and Cathie respectively.

The Village Fun Day also happened on 2nd August with a sunny day helping to add to the success. The Parish Council covered major event costs such as the bouncy castle and BJ the Entertainer which left £350 profit excluding the BOCA monies. This was distributed as follows; £50 to Sunshine Club, £100 to Once We Were Soldiers, £100 to First Steps and £100 to the Community First Responders. The BOCA profits will be discussed in the Treasurers Report (below).

The St Giles Church Fayre also went well with a profit of £465. Many thanks for Joan, Steve, Jill and Julie for their assistance which was much appreciated.

No other matters arising.

Treasurers Report

We are still waiting for the doctor’s surgery to confirm what equipment they would like us to buy from our profits last year and how much it might cost.

BOCA made a profit of £200 from the Village Fun Day with many thanks going to those who volunteered (especially Joan and Steve for their sterling work at the BBQ) and to Cathie for organising most of the event. A lesson for future years though will be to rotate the volunteers to give people a change, if not a break; this was the original intention this year but for whatever reason it didn’t work in that way. We discussed who should benefit within the agreed criteria for the event that it should be 1) a local charitable group and 2) a group who supported the event. It was decided to distribute the £200 as follows; £50 to Sunshine Club, £50 to Once We Were Soldiers, £50 to First Steps and £50 to the Community First Responders. Cathie to provide any missing contact details to Janet so that she can arrange for the monies to be paid.

Other recent expenses include £698.08 for the fireworks, £17 for the remembrance wreath and £15 for steam cleaning the BBQ.

Secretaries Report

Nothing new.

Planned and Recent Events

Revue: Viv will be finalising details with the performers on Saturday 19th. It will be at the school on a Saturday night but the performers want to visit the venue before they commit to coming.

Skittles: The date has now been changed to Friday 13th November at Newbold Verdon club (next to the Co-op). Mixed food will be available on the night at a cost of £4 per person; a £5 per person price is therefore proposed.

Indoor Car Boot Sale: Planned for November 14th open between 10am and 12noon although it will be open beforehand for setting up and afterwards for clearing up. It is proposed to put the tables out on the Friday evening. Tombola items to be given to Jill. Janet will be contacting the people from previous events to see if they want to attend and also recruiting volunteers for the kitchen.

Race Night: Anna said this must have been mentioned by Ray as she had no knowledge of it. The school is the only suitable venue available at the moment. The village hall is not suitable for preparing and serving food although we could have fish & chips. This will be a 2016 event now though given where we are. Gerry said he could borrow the equipment from the Rotary Club and could run the event.

Fireworks Night: To be on 5th November. Despite the statement at the last meeting, there will be training required this year and it will be on 16th October. Cathie has already ordered the sausages and burgers from the butcher in Whitwick, 75 of each. She will get the bread rolls on the morning of 5th when she collects the meat. More help is needed for the BBQ; Joan also suggested that a white or yellow line be painted on the step to avoid accidents as people can’t see it in the dark. This needs to be put to the Parish Council. Help also needed with teas, coffees and cakes. The Elohim will assist as usual with manning the gates and providing stewards.

Remembrance Day: 8th November.

Any Other Business

Flyers will be done for up and coming events.

Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on 27th October starting at 7.30pm. Both Glyn and Anna gave their apologies in advance.

BOCA Management Meeting Minutes – 7th July 2015

Minutes from the Barlestone & Osbaston Community Association Management Meeting held on 7th July 2015

Barlestone & Osbaston Community Association Management Meeting – 7th July 2015

Present; Cathie Watkins (secretary), Viv Goddard (vice chairman), Steve Jordan, Joan Jordan, Julie Edge, Janet Barwood (treasurer), Jill Raymond, Keith Flude

Apologies ; David Burchell, Gerry Barwood (chairman), John Watkins, Glyn Bowen, Mary Goddard

Notes of last meeting

Agreed; proposed Janet, seconded Joan

Matters Arising

There have been two successful events since the last meeting, both of which deserved thanks for all the hard work put in by the organisers in each case. The Garage Sales went well and there were lots of people about. The Teddy Bear’s Picnic was well attended and although hard work, was enjoyed by the children. Joan has received a thank you card made by the children from First Steps Playgroup. We got a photo in the Hinckley Times as publicity too.

No other matters arising.

Treasurers Report

We are still waiting for the doctor’s surgery to confirm what equipment they would like us to buy from our profits last year and how much it might cost.

We made £16 from sales of teas and coffees at the Garage sales event.

Secretaries Report

Nothing new.

Planned and Recent Events

Revue: Viv should have some dates soon. It will be at the school on a Saturday night but the performers want to visit the venue before they commit to coming.

Skittles: This was planned and booked for Friday 18th September at Newbold Verdon club (next to the Co-op). There are several people away on that date though, so Viv will look at some alternative dates in early October.

Car Treasure Hunt: planned for 24th July.

Village Walk & Treasure Hunt: planned for 7th August. Cathie will be distributing flyers shortly. Cathie to buy the sausages and burgers from the butcher in Whitwick, quantity to be confirmed when we have a better idea of attendance.

Indoor Car Boot Sale: planned for October 10th. The venue subject to the situation with the sale of the village hall, maybe the Old School Hall might be an alternative. Janet will check with David and Glyn.

Race Night: no update, this was a suggestion from Anna.

Village Event: planned for 2nd August. A small number of people including Cathie and Janet are meeting to discuss getting the community more involved with one another. Cathie outlined the current plans and stalls booked so far. BOCA will be doing the BBQ, the tombola and the raffle. We will borrow one of the small gazebos from the church for the raffle and tombola. Jill offered to co-ordinate the tombola with Janet’s help. We need lots of volunteers on the day. The football club will be doing a penalty shoot-out so will need one goal mouth. Cathie to buy the sausages and burgers from the butcher in Whitwick, 108 of each. Steve will be doing the onions and Janet will be buying the bread rolls and condiments. No cheese !

Fireworks Night: to be on 5th November. Viv will buy the same fireworks bundle as last year and will get them ordered so that we get a discount as usual. No training is required this year. Cathie to order the sausages and burgers from the butcher in Whitwick, 75 of each. Cathie to write to the Parish Council for use of the sports ground and pavilion.

Any Other Business

The St Giles Church Fayre will be held on 5th September. BOCA volunteers to help with the raffle and tombola (organised by Jill) and Steve and Joan will be doing the BBQ.

Brought forward but not discussed: Gerry had previously suggested an auction with either donated items or giving sellers a percentage of the sale price. The ideal time would be just before Christmas but this will be put on hold until a suitable venue is available.

Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting will be on 15th September starting at 7.30pm.